Over time bad posture can lead to aching muscles and other health problems. Here are some ways to improve posture. Good posture can improve the quality of your life. Work on it now before it becomes a problem in the future if it hasn’t already. Here are some benefits of good posture.
- Joint Protection – reduces wear and tear on the joints
- More Energy- less strain on the muscles so more energy throughout the day
- Appearance- You look more confident
- Spine – Prevents the spine from being aligned incorrectly
- Muscle Ache and Pain – Prevents backache and muscle pain
Here are a few stretches that can help improve posture.
- Plank – Start in a push-up position with your forearms and toes on the floor. Keep your back straight. There should be no sagging. Your head should be relaxed looking down and shoulders back away from ears. Hold the position for 30 seconds and then advance to 45 seconds and then 60 seconds.
- Standing forward bend- Stand tall with feet hip-width apart. Interlock your hands together and bring them over head. Bend forward and allow hands to fall forward. Breathe deeply and allow hands to fall forward a little more with each exhale. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Upward-Facing Dog- Lie face down on the floor with palms directly under shoulders holding the body up. Make sure elbows are slightly bent. Legs should be extended and tops of your feet flat on the floor. Inhale, and press into the tops of your feet while lifting torso and thighs a few inches off ground. Hold for a few seconds and then exhale. Repeat 4-5 times.